Filmmaking for the 99%:
A quick look at Sundance in 2014:
- 8,161 short films were submitted.
- Sundance likes to screen 6-7 films in each program, running 90-100 minutes total.
- Using those numbers, let’s say the average film is 14.6 minutes.
That’s 119,151 minutes or 1986 hours or 83 days of short film submissions. It would take an individual screener a year to watch, consider, and review each film. Keep in mind, the top films are watched multiple times before being programmed. And all this is actually done in 6 months, with a heavy time crunch in the last 60 days.
It’s difficult to imagine any system being able to maintain a true sense of merit-based objectivity applied to all 8,161 submissions.
Enter DigiPops, an online festival that is attempting to change the game for independent filmmakers:
DigiPops is the short film discovery application of the future. Here you can submit, vote, and promote yourself and others. You are recognized for your work through a transparent, fair system of organization and curation called The Pop Machine. The Pop Machine provides you the tools to even the playing field and give everyone an equal chance to be recognized for quality filmmaking. We hope DigiPops can be an alternative to the current market realities:
- 99.2% of short films rejected at Sundance 2014
- Over 99% of theatrical distribution is owned by 13 companies.
- Less than 0.3% of box offfice distribution is truly independent, not owned by a major international media conglomerate.
Artist Kim Keever drops industrial paint tints into 200-gallon fish tanks, and photographs the swirling, ballooning colors as they mix and disperse through the water for his series “Across The Volumes.”
In the Wake (via fuckyeahgreatplays)
- Intro: State of the Hip-Hop Union Address
- Track 1: How Do My Presidential Balls Taste?
- Track 2: Obamacare For Ya Mama
- Track 3: Vetoing The Pussy feat: The First Lady
- Track 4: Rock the Vote After I Rock Ya Headboard
- Track 5: I Got the CIA Fucking With Me
- Track 6: White House Sanctioned Murder feat: Wild Joe Biden
- Track 7: Government Lockdown (Fuck the Repubs)
- Track 8: Senate Massacre
- Track 9: Executive Branch Evil
- Track 10: Harvard Hitman
- Outro: Re-Elect a Real Nigga When You See One
- Bonus Track: What You Mean Declined? (The Deficit’s Trying To Kill Me)
this track list was too good I had to reblog again